Weekend review – .500 weekend for the Bees

The final weekend of September was back to a two game weekend with the Berkshire Cycles Bracknell Bees starting on home ice.

Berkshire Cycles Bracknell Bees 5 Invicta Dynamos 1

With the school zone packed and a good turn out for a Saturday home game the night started with a presentation to Sue Nike as her late husband, John Nike OBE was inducted as the first member of the Hive of Fame.

Referee Deana Cuglietta was joined on the lines by Amy Lack and Flynn Sitch-Cunningham. Their first roll after the opening face-off was awarding the Bees first goal early on. With Invicta seemingly in control in their attacking zone Vanya Antonov took the puck and raced down the ice, accompanied by Josh Smith. Antonov slotted across an inch perfect pass and Smith buried the first goal midway up the net glove side at just 40 seconds.

There were a couple more chances for the home team before Invicta’s Joe Allen got to test Dean Skinns who made a blocker save. Pressure from the Bees after a quick transition saw Dynamos ice the puck. Dynamos won the face-off and Brandon Miles was away with a break away but he tested the 5 hole which Skinns had already closed.

Roman Malinik showed his intentions early on racing in to test Adam Long who gloved the puck and held for a face off at 3.55. Joe Baird’s interference penalty 10 seconds later gave rise to the first powerplay of the game. Dynamos levelled with the man advantage as Martins Susters gained the zone and set the puck in motion before getting it back for a one timer past Dean Skinns at 5.22

As the goal cancelled out Joe Baird’s penalty he returned to the ice and Aidan Doughty started a hooking minor but this time Dynamos didn’t make the advantage count.

Two quick chances followed for the Bees as Ryan Sutton’s chance was saved but not cleanly allowing Bees to quickly get the puck back and this time James Galazzi shot with Long making a clean save.

Joe Baird looked to provide the outlet pass but was intercepted by Ondrej Zosiak who shot with Skinns making a save. As Zosiak advanced to the net Skinns held the puck but was called for delay of the game at 9.11.

Josh Martin took a hit behind the net and skated out in front to try a wrap around but after his shot he headed straight to the bench. Shaun Thompson took a high stick in his defensive zone from Edmund Piacka and the Dynamo was off for a 2 minute penalty at 10.39 meaning 4 on 4.

A Dean Skinns poke check save allowed the Bees to clear their zone as they returned to full strength and had the rest of Piacka’s powerplay ahead. A good passing game from the Bees ended with the puck making a Bee line to Roman Malinik at the back door who finished for 2-1 at 11.49

Vanya Antonov tested Long at 13.28 then Ryan Sutton tested him too. Then after a third save in short order Long covered the puck without a delay of the game penalty.

Inside the final minute of the first period Dynamos missed a 2 on 1 but managed to get the puck back to Matt Foord at the blue line who rung one of the crossbar but Bees retained their 2-1 lead after 20 minutes.

The second period saw Dean Skinns make an impressive save to deny Aaron Strawson before Roman Malinik took the puck to the other end and wheeled around to provide Ryan Sutton but his shot was high and out of play. Long was busy again as Scott Spearing and James Galazzi were both at the top of the crease looking for a wrap around but the Dynamos shotstopper covered the puck meaning a face-off. Bees won the draw and after 14 seconds the puck was frozen again with another save made by Long.

Relentless pressure from the home team saw them add another to their tally at 22.15 when Shaun Thompson was the man to complete some nice passing moves with the Bees’ third goal of the night.

Bees pressure didn’t stop there and they were barely out the attacking zone for the first six minutes of the second period. Cameron Bartlett did manage to break free from the Bees attack but, going alone, he flashed his shot wide of the far post. Edward Knaggs came back straight away and skated in banking one off the side of the goal netting. The lose puck was held by the Bees but good defensive stick position prevented James Galazzi from getting motion on his stick to shoot the puck.

As the 27 minute mark came up Roman Malinik raced in and wristed a shot at Long which he got just enough off to deflect it wide. Minutes later Ryan Sutton was in the zone alone and held the puck waiting for Roman Malinik and Vanya Antonov to arrive, the shot falling to Malinik but it was too high.

It was nearly midway through the middle period before Dean Skinns was tested again but Bees quickly regrouped. Roman Malinik sent in another shot drawing another save and face-off. Bees won the face-off and this time it was Zach Milton at the top of the slot but Adam Long shut the door.

Grant Bartlett went for a run with Cameron Bartlett on the opposite side but as Grant fed to Cameron the shot went high and out of play at 33.24. Roman Malinik was back causing issues for the Dynamos as he outmuscled Aaron Strawson before forcing another save.

At 35.28 Joe Baird took a hooking penalty but before his penalty, and the game could re-start Invicta took a bench minor penalty for delay of the game meaning another spell of 4 on 4.

Stuart Mogg provided a laser feed to Brendan Baird who released a slapshot at 36.31 but Long had another save in the cupboard.

Vanya Antonov featured heavily in the final 61 seconds of the middle period, firstly providing for Josh Smith just before the first minute and skating in with Shaun Thompson just shy of the buzzer with Thompson passing just wide.

The third period started with action just by the penalty boxes which saw Edmund Piacka sit out for holding and Joe Baird take a roughing penalty at 41.07. Just 30 seconds later Dynamos headed to the powerplay as Ryan Sutton started a holding penalty meaning 90 seconds of 4 on 3. Looking to capitalise on the open ice Shaun Thompson was taken out by Matt Foord in the neutral zone. With no call play continued and first two minor penalties expired leaving Invicta 30 seconds of 5 on 4. Despite being a man down Roman Malinik and Aidan Doughty combined with the former feeding the latter but Doughty couldn’t get a clean connection and Long made a save.

Brandon Miles escaped a penalty earlier in his shift but offered the referee an easy call when he steamed into Scott Spearing who was off the play and heading through the bench door for a change. Miles was initially assessed 2 minutes for roughing but after a long delay the penalty was re-announced as 2+2 for roughing.

Bees converted early in the first penalty to make it 4-1. They moved forward with speed and Smith and Thompson combined to put the puck right in Roman Malinik’s hitting zone and the Sherif pulled the trigger for a powerplay goal at 46.07.

Aidan Doughty had two quick chances before the Dynamos returned to full strength but with Miles only back on the ice for 8 seconds Bees were still set from their man advantage and Vanya Antonov provided for Josh Smith to make it 5-1.

Roman Malinik searched for his hat-trick off the re-start, then Shaun Thompson set free Vanya Antonov who cut in front of the net and tried to back hand in. It took a while for the Dynamos to clear their zone. With Dynamos making the attacking zone Dean Skinns got cross checked by Joe Allen but ended up with an interference penalty at 55.51

The Dynamos clearly had a set plan to their powerplay as three times they worked the puck back to the point for the shot before Edmund Piacka took a slashing penalty. As he did a scoreboard issue brought about a small delay before the restart, 4 on 4 for the remainder of the Skinns penalty.

Bees returned to full strength just before the final two minutes of the game, Dynamos got Piacka back with 56 seconds to play and Bees run out winners after a dominant display.

Bracknell: Smith 2+2; Antonov 0+4; Thompson 1+2; Malinik 2+0; Knaggs, Doughty 0+1. Net: Skinns (60.00) 21/1
Invicta: Susters 1+0; C Bartlett, Zosiak 0+1. Net: Long (60.00) 38/5

Period Scores: 2-1/1-0/2-0
Shots On Goal: 38-21
Penalty Minutes: 14-12
Referee: D Cuglietta. Linesmen: A Lack & F Sitch-Cunningham
Gamesheet: http://eihams.fixtureslive.com/matchSheet.aspx?fixtureid=2135285

On Sunday the Berkshire Cycles Bracknell Bees headed to Streatham for a return of the previous weekend’s fixture.

Streatham IHC 4 Berkshire Cycles Bracknell Bees 2

It was 8 seconds into a Bees bench minor for an icing infraction that the home team opened the scoring thanks to an Adam Carr powerplay goal. The lead lasted lasted than a minute as Roman Malinik levelled at 13.45 and the first period ended tied.

Roman Malinik scored his second at 30.20 on a shorthanded breakaway goal but just 6 seconds after the Bees had got Scott Spearing back from his boarding penalty Andreas Siagris scored the equalising goal. With 1.54 left in the middle period Alex Roberts put the home team ahead and the middle period ended 3-2.

Ryan Webb doubled the lead for Streatham at 44.11 and despites chances for the Bees Damien King kept them out. With 51 seconds left Doug Sheppard called his team’s time-out and elected to keep Dean Skinns on the bench for an extra skater. Streatham couldn’t find the back of the open net but Bees couldn’t beat King and the home team hung on for the win.

Streatham: Carr, Siagris 1+1; Jamieson 0+2; Roberts, Webb 1+0; Russell, Farn 0+1. Net: King (60.00) 41/2
Bracknell: Malinik 2+0; Milton, Doughty 0+1. Net: Skinns (59.09) 29/4 & Empty Net: (0.51) 0/0

Period Scores: 1-1/2-1/1-0
Shots On Goal: 29-41
Penalty Minutes: 18-6
Referee: B Evans. Linesmen: Strain & Flinch
Gamesheet: http://eihams.fixtureslive.com/matchSheet.aspx?fixtureid=2135288

After the weekend Head Coach Doug Sheppard spoke; “On Sunday we got off to a good start, we had some chances to score and didn’t capitalise but if the puck isn’t going in it can get frustrating. We suffered our first loss of the year, it’s tough to take but it’s one game. We’re just going to have to regroup this week and tighten up a number of aspects to our defensive game especially on the penalty kill and bounce back with a good weekend next weekend.”